The 5-day course will be held in the Application Competence Center of Malvern Panalytical (Almelo, The Netherlands), and it will cover the fundamental and practical aspects of Residual Stress, Grazing Incidence X-Ray Diffraction (GI-XRD), X-Ray Reflectivity (XRR) and Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering (SAXS). Emphasis will be on hands-on experience with the Empyrean instrument, in conjunction with Data Collector and the relevant analytical software packages. Participants are encouraged to bring their characteristic scans, or one or two of their relevant samples (together with the corresponding sample submission forms and safety data sheets – ask for this option during the registration process).This course is intended to be a follow-up of the 5-day X-Ray Diffraction Course Part-1: Powder diffraction.
• help you to master the use of your instrument, when performing measurements of Residual Stress on bulk materials, GI-XRD and XRR on thin films, and SAXS on nanomaterials
• get the best results out of your instrument in terms of highest data quality
• effective and reliable data analysis
WHO SHOULD REGISTER:
• existing users of Malvern Panalytical X-Ray diffractometers who already followed the 5-day X-Ray Diffraction Course Part-1: Powder diffraction
• new users who have already some knowledge of Malvern Panalytical X-Ray diffractometers and solid basis on the theory of these techniques.
COURSE CONTENT IN MORE DETAIL:
The main aspects covered during the course are the following:
• fundamentals of Residual Stress analysis using XRD, verification and calibration of the set-up with a stress-free sample, Chi-tilt and/or omega-offset stress methods
• Grazing Incidence X-Ray Diffraction measurements on thin films, sample alignment procedures and set-up of data collection for X-Ray Reflectivity (XRR), basics of thickness analysis from XRR data
• introduction to Small-Angle X-Ray Scattering (SAXS), sample preparation on nanoparticles, measurements and analysis for the determination of size distribution of primary particles
• set-up of measurement programs in Data Collector, automation possibilities.
This is a paid course. The course fee includes hotel accommodation, lunches and transport from the hotel to our facility. Please contact your local Malvern Panalytical representative for pricing information, travel and accommodation enquiries.
Location: Almelo, The Netherlands
Course duration: 5 days
Number of participants: minimum – 3, maximum – 12
We reserve the right to cancel courses due to insufficient enrollment or unforeseen circumstances.