X-ray diffraction (XRD) has found its application in virtually every area of research and has become an essential technique for research and development as well as quality control teams in industry. Introduction to basic concepts as well as various parts of XRD equipment is essential to perform experiments in most optimized conditions. The MasterClass 1 is a 3-hour program. It focuses on explaining basic crystallography, how X-ray diffraction reveals crystal structure, various parts of a diffractometer and their usage as well as optimizing the settings to take a good quality scan. Limitations while taking good quality data are explained in detail. The course is useful for absolute beginners in the field of XRD and can also serve as a refresher course for experienced users.
Interested to improve your materials characterization analysis and interpretation? Join our XRD Masterclasses which are designed to help you achieve better XRD data. During the course of this MasterClass series, users will be trained on the basics to advanced level data analysis, XRD applications as well as practical tips on achieving the best data quality for their research and quality control.
We want all users to grasp the basics of X-ray diffraction. Hence this MasterClass module is free to attend. There is a nominal fee for subsequent XRD MasterClasses. See below for more information. For those classes, do enquire with us about industry vs academia as well as bulk rates for your organization.
- Measurement type:
- March 01 2021 - March 01 2021
09:30 - 12:30
India Time [Asia]
- Event type:
- Webinar - Live
- Aeris range
- X-ray Diffraction (XRD)
1. Theory of diffraction (1 hour)
- Basics of crystal structure
- Unit cell parameters
- Diffraction as a special case of interference
- Bragg’s law
- XRD diffraction pattern obtained as set of peaks
2. Understanding the physics of your X-ray diffractometer and how to improve your data quality (1 hour)
- X-ray tube
- Incident beam optics
- Sample stages
- Diffraction beam optics
3. Optimized diffraction experiments (1 hour)
- Optimizing resolution
- Optimizing intensity
- Optimizing beam size
Dr Sandeep Nagar, Malvern Panalytical's application specialist for XRD, based in India
Dr Sandeep Nagar completed his PhD in the field of multiferroic thin films manufacturing and characterization from KTH Sweden (2012). Dr Nagar subsequently spent 6 years in academia and research with the Amity University Noida + G D Goenka University Gurgaon, at the Physical Sciences and Electronics Engineering departments. In 2018, he joined Malvern Panalytical as an Application Specialist for XRD. He has been instrumental in training and helping clients to expand their applications, improve their analysis and importantly to further optimize their usage of XRD instrumentation.
Who should attend?
- Researchers involved in materials characterization analysis who want to expand their knowledge in X-ray diffraction
- Relevant industries include (but are not limited to) those researching on battery, powder metallurgy, cement, mining and minerals, environmental monitoring, pharmaceuticals and more
- R+D and manufacturing leaders responsible for appropriate analytics selection
- Scientists engaged in method development for new materials or in supporting root cause analysis investigations in support of product manufacturing
How long is this Masterclass module?
Interested to improve your XRD data quality, analysis and interpretation? Join our XRD MasterClass series:
- XRD MasterClass 1: Introduction to powder XRD
- XRD MasterClass 2: Phase quantification and how to analyze and interpret your data scans.
- XRD MasterClass 3: Phase quantification (advanced) using Rietveld Refinement.
- XRD MasterClass 4: Indexing for Pharmaceuticals.
- XRD MasterClass 5: Crystal structure determination.