Active Hood Peltier Plate Cartridge
Environmental controller with minimized thermal gradients for plate measuring systems.
The Active Hood Peltier Plate cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer uses a proprietary design to prevent thermal losses in the local sample environment, and hence minimize sample thermal gradients. Applicable to the measurement of highly thermally-sensitive samples, and for temperature-critical testing where the temperature range is significantly above or below ambient.
Environmental controllers for the Kinexus rheometer are based on a unique ‘plug and play’ cartridge design.
- Cartridge insertion mechanism is quick, easy and robust
- All mechanical, power, communication and fluid connections made in one action
- Automatic cartridge recognition and configuration
- Active Hood design based on interactive temperature control elements in local sample environment to minimize radial and vertical thermal gradients
- Temperature changes of up to 30ºC per minute
- Extremely stable temperature control using a high accuracy PT100 sensor in close proximity to sample
- Temperature resolution to 0.01ºC
- Wide range of compatible cone-plate and parallel plate measuring systems available as standard
- Interchangeable lower plates for optimal geometry combinations
- Efficient solvent trap designed for accurate measurement of samples with volatile components
- Inlet for inert gas feed into sample environment
Accurate temperature measurement and control is a fundamental requirement for almost all rheological measurements. The Kinexus rheometer uses easily interchangeable environmental controllers based on a unique cartridge design, to meet temperature control requirements for a variety of complex fluids and soft solid samples.
Peltier-based temperature control units use solid-state thermoelectric Peltier modules as heat pumps, to control the temperature of the sample.
Peltier systems have benefits which make their use advantageous for rheometer temperature control – having high heating and cooling rates, and providing excellent temperature accuracy and stability.
Sample thermal gradients are minimized by a design which combines Peltier elements with additional heaters to actively control radial and vertical heat losses from the local sample environment.
The use of a separate heat exchanger system, to remove excess heat from the Peltier module to maintain its optimum working efficiency, is a general requirement when used for temperature control on a rheometer system.
If you are unsure as to specifying an appropriate temperature and environmental control unit for your sample type or measurement application, please contact Malvern for further advice and/or a sample test and evaluation report.
- Temperature range:
- -40°C to +200°C. For operation below -5ºC a chilled circulating fluid must be used.
- Temperature resolution:
- Temperature stability:
- Better than ±0.1°C.
- Maximum heating rate (temperature range dependent):
- Maximum cooling rate (temperature range dependent):
- Quick-connect cartridge system:
- Plug & play; auto-recognition and configuration in software.
- Interchangeable lower plates:
- Varying diameters & surface finishes e.g. roughened (sand blasted) or serrated.
- Disposable plate option.