Highest specification rheometer bearing system
The Kinexus ultra+ rheometer has the highest sensitivity air bearing and widest torque range, coupled with the unprecedented vertical (axial) control capabilities of the Kinexus platform, for advanced rheological testing. Unique sequence-driven rSpace software enables fully customizable test design to allow researchers to set-up and investigate tailored rheological test protocols.
The Kinexus ultra+ rheometer incorporates technological innovations that enable optimal flexibility in rheological test capabilities and protocols - for advanced research.
- All modes of rheological operation – stress control, shear rate control and direct strain controlled oscillation at demand strain amplitude for accurate control of sample strain history.
- Unprecedented dual-action capabilities for both shear and vertical testing.
- Highest specification air bearing with ultra-low torque offset to minimise data corrections.
- Exceptional vertical travel and gapping capabilities with ultra-responsive and highly sensitive normal force system for class-leading performance.
- Unique rSpace software interface that offers total flexibility of test set-up - from fully customizable test design for new and advanced research capabilities to sequence-driven Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)-type functionality.
- Wide variety of measurement geometries optimized for rheological characterization of complex fluids and soft solids, including dispersions, emulsions, polymer and surfactant solutions, pastes and gels.
- Intelligent geometry recognition with full auto-configuration and user feedback on system status to guarantee robust data for all measurements.
- Complete sample history from the point of loading onto the rheometer available in data file as standard – because ensuring reliable rheology data for complex non-Newtonian materials actually starts before a measurement takes place.
- Unique ‘plug and play’ cartridge system for all temperature and environmental controllers – all mechanical, power, communication and fluid connections made in one simple action.
- Multifunctional accessory design – plate cartridges with interchangeable lower plates for a cost-effective solution addressing the widest application coverage.
Kinexus is a rotational rheometer system that applies controlled shear deformation to a sample under test, to enable measurement of flow properties (such as shear viscosity from flow tests) and dynamic material properties (such viscoelastic modulus and phase angle from oscillation tests).
A rotational rheometer system comprises several key components to enable robust, reliable and accessible rheological measurements for a particular sample or application:
- Rheometer base unit. Control of key system functions, including torque (for stress control), rotational position change (for strain or rate control), normal force and vertical position change (for sample loading and gap set).
- Measuring system or geometry. The measuring system is the link between the rheometer and the sample, and defines the applied shear field. The type of measuring system must be appropriate to the sample type and the test under consideration.
- Temperature or environmental control unit. Accurate control is essential since rheological properties are a strong function of temperature and environmental conditions.
- Instrument software. Rheological testing can be, by its nature, relatively complex to set up. Malvern Panalytical’s cornerstone Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) approach to material testing has been enhanced in rSpace software to revolutionize and simplify user interaction, and to bring ‘expert system’ guidance and SOP-driven testing to rheological measurements for the first time.
Understanding the application under consideration, and the associated rheological test requirements, is a key factor in selecting the most appropriate rheometer system.
If you are unsure as to specifying an appropriate rheometer model for your application, Malvern recommend contacting us for further advice and/or a sample test and evaluation report.
- Modes of operation:
- Direct strain control. Shear rate control. Shear stress control.
- Torque range:
- 1.0nNm to 250mNm. (Viscometry - Controlled Rate and Controlled Stress)
- Torque range:
- 0.5nNm to 250mNm. (Oscillation - Controlled Strain and Controlled Stress)
- Torque resolution:
- Position resolution:
- Angular velocity range:
- 1nrads-1 to 500rads-1
- Step change in strain:
- Frequency range:
- 6.28µrads-1 to 942rads-1 (1µHz to 150Hz).
- Motor inertia:
- Normal Force range:
- 0.001N to 50N.
- Normal Force resolution:
- Normal Force response time:
- Vertical lift speed:
- 0.1µms-1 to 35mms-1
- Vertical lift range (measurable):
- Gap resolution (over full vertical lift range):
- Fully configurable vertical profiles:
- By speed and by Normal Force.
- Raw instrument variables:
- 5kHz constant streaming data.
- Complete sample history:
- Data available from loading to unloading as standard.
- USB2 – plug and play.
- Quick-connect geometries:
- Auto-identification and auto-configuration – plug and play.
- Interchangeable lower plates:
- Varying pedestal diameters and surface finishes.
- Cartridge environmental controllers:
- Auto-identification and auto-configuration – plug and play.
- Temperature range:
- -40°C to 200°C (Peltier plate and active hood cartridges). -30°C to 200°C (Peltier cylinder cartridge). 0°C to 300°C (High temperature cartridge).
- Temperature resolution:
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 490mm (W) x 485mm x 680mm
- 110V or 220V.
- Operating temperature (°C):
- 15°C – 40°C.
- 35% - 80% non-condensing.
- Specifications have been obtained under conditions as stated in the Installation and Site Requirements for Kinexus rheometers
Designed for the rheological testing of complex fluids and soft solids, and gelling and curing materials.
Environmental controller for cone-plate and parallel plate measuring systems.
The Peltier Plate cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer meets the temperature control requirements across the majority of applications from fluids through to soft solids, such as creams, pastes and gels.
Environmental controller for concentric cylinder-type measuring systems.
The Peltier Cylinder cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer provides multifunctional configuration options to meet the temperature control requirements for measuring materials from highly fluid-like samples through to high concentration dispersions that show a yield stress. Can be configured for use with a range of accessories.
Environmental controller with minimized thermal gradients for plate measuring systems.
The Active Hood Peltier Plate cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer uses a proprietary design to prevent thermal losses in the local sample environment, and hence minimize sample thermal gradients. Applicable to the measurement of highly thermally-sensitive samples, and for temperature-critical testing where the temperature range is significantly above or below ambient.
High temperature environmental controller for cone-plate and parallel plate measuring systems.
The HTC cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer meets the temperature control requirements across the majority of applications from fluids through to soft solids, such as creams, thermoset composites and polymer melts.
UV/Visible Curing System for use with Kinexus Cylinder Cartridge
The UV/Visible Curing System available for the Kinexus rotational rheometer allows the progression of UV or Visible light-initiated curing reactions to be followed in real time on samples including adhesives, sealants, coatings and inks.
The Kinexus Torsion/Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA) system is designed to work with the concentric cylinder system and allows solid samples (e.g. final product) to be tested directly. The system extends the current characterization capabilities of the Kinexus, allowing mechanical properties and material transitions to be evaluated as a function of time, temperature, stress and strain, in both dry and wet environments.
The Kinexus Three-Point Bend system takes advantage of the temperature control inside the active hood cartridge, and the unmatched axial performance of Kinexus to allow Dynamic Mechanical Analysis (DMA) testing to be performed on solid materials. A solid strip of material is probed, typically with a small vertical oscillation in control displacement or controlled force mode to determine the mechanical properties.
The immersion cell is designed to prevent samples from drying out during measurement. Samples (such as hydrogels) are immersed in a compatible liquid so to allow measurements to be conducted without drying influencing the results.
The Kinexus fibre-film fixture is designed to clamp a small film or fibre of material between upper and lower measuring systems to allow for axial/vertical testing on the sample. The system is designed to work with the Kinexus active hood cartridge which provides accurate temperature control of the sample. The advanced axial control system of Kinexus with unprecedented gap control and ultra-responsive normal force allows for axial oscillation testing by controlled force or displacement on both soft and stiff samples.
The Kinexus immobilization and dehydration cell allowing standard rheological testing to be performed as the sample is drying and is particularly useful for the evaluation of paints and coatings, for example. A vacuum is applied beneath a sintered/porous lower plate to draw liquid away from the sample over time, while simultaneously measuring the rheological properties of the sample.
The UV/Visible Transparent Borosilicate Glass plate used with the UV Curing System can also be configured with a microscope to allow microstructural changes to be observed during rheological testing. The microscope is mounted underneath the quartz plate (directly below the sample) and allows processes such as the break-up of emulsion droplets, alignment of particulates or fibres in a flow field and/or imaging of shear flow or shear banding within a sample. The microscope is mounted underneath the quartz plate (directly below the sample).
The universal container holder enables you to test your samples within a custom container / beaker, which is particularly useful when analysing delicate samples or where you don’t want to disturb structure by removing from their container. The universal container is multi-functional, also serving as the base for the texture analysis geometries.
Advanced mounting fixtures to the upper (moving) stage of Kinexus. Designed to accommodate optical systems, and imaging camera systems next to the upper geometry.
The disposable plate system is a perfect solution for studying samples that cure or set during testing such a thermosets, adhesives and paints. Both upper and lower disposable plates are available in various sizes, and are easy to remove and dispose of following a measurement.
Intelligent geometry recognition and auto-configuration.
A wide range of measuring systems specifically designed for rheological characterization of dispersions and other complex fluids and soft solids, for use across all Kinexus environmental cartridges.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost