Entry level particle size analyzer
The Mastersizer 3000 is highly regarded as the premier laser diffraction particle size analysis instrument on the market for design, performance and software user experience. However, some customers do not immediately need the advanced functionality that the Mastersizer 3000 offers. Malvern Panalytical have therefore introduced an entry level instrument to the Mastersizer product family which is based upon the proven design of the Mastersizer 3000 but with more basic performance and software functionality.
The Mastersizer 3000E provides a cost-effective, entry level particle sizing system which can be upgraded as required. It is available with two different performance levels:
Mastersizer 3000E Basic
- Particle size range from 0.1 – 1000µm
- Manual dispersion units only
- Basic software, with updates and bug fixes only
- Anytime upgrade option to Mastersizer 3000E Extended
Mastersizer 3000E Extended
- Automated wet sample dispersion units supported
- All the advanced software functionality offered with the Mastersizer 3000, including updates, bug fixes and upgrades
How it works
The Mastersizer 3000E uses the technique of laser diffraction to measure the size of particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a dispersed particulate sample. This data is then analysed to calculate the size of the particles that created the scattering pattern.
A typical system is made up of three main elements:
- Optical bench - A dispersed sample passes though the measurement area of the optical bench, where a laser beam illuminates the particles. A series of detectors then accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the particles within the sample over a wide range of angles.
- Sample dispersion units (accessories). Sample dispersion is controlled by a range of wet and dry dispersion units. These ensure the particles are delivered to the measurement area of the optical bench at the correct concentration and in a suitable, stable state of dispersion.
- Instrument software. The Mastersizer 3000E software controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate a particle size distribution.
- Particle size:
- Suspensions, emulsions, dry powders
- Laser light scattering
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering
- Data acquisition rate:
- 10 kHz
- Typical measurement time:
- <10 sec
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 690mm x 300mm x 450mm
- 30 kg
- Red light source:
- Max. 4mW He-Ne, 632.8nm
- Blue light source:
- Lens arrangement:
- Reverse Fourier (convergent beam)
- Effective focal length:
- Log-spaced array
- Angular range:
- 0.032 - 60 degrees
- Particle size:
- 0.1 - 1000 µm *
- Number of size classes:
- 100 (user adjustable)
- Better than 0.6% **
- Precision / Repeatability:
- Better than 0.5% variation *
- Better than 1% variation *
- Laser safety:
- Class 1, IEC60825-1:2007 and CFR Chapter I: Sub-chapterJ: Part 1040 (CDRH)
- Regulatory testing:
- RoHS and WEEE compliant CE / FCC compliant Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz 50W (no dispersion units connected) 200W maximum (2 dispersion units connected)
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C, decreasing linearly to 50% at 40°C. Non condensing.
- Product storage temperature:
- -20°C to +50°C
- Ingress Protection (IP) rating:
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +5°C to +40°C
- Sample and sample preparation dependent.
- Accuracy defined for the recovery of the mean size of a narrow log-normal distribution. Sample and sample preparation dependant.
- The Mastersizer 3000E optical bench is protected by patent GB2,340,932; together with patents based on applications WO2013038161 and WO2013038159. Hydro MV and LV protected by EP1167946A2 and related filings.
Sample dispersion accessories for the Mastersizer 3000E
Mastersizer 3000E Basic and Extended
Routine particle size analysis for bulk dry powder samples
The Aero M dry powder disperser enables bulk dry powder samples to be measured using the Mastersizer 3000E laser diffraction particle size analyzer. Its simple design ensures that it is easy to use and maintain, delivering robust, reproducible particle size distribution measurements as part of routine production or quality control operations.
Rapid QC measurements for bulk powder samples
The Aero funnel sample feeder is designed to help users achieve rapid, reproducible bulk dry powder particle size measurements by allowing samples to be added directly to the Aero S and Aero M dry powder dispersion units without opening the dispersion unit lid. This speeds up and simplifies the process of introducing samples for analysis, decreasing the time required to obtain results.
Effective Chocolate production quality control
The goal of chocolate production is to produce a product with a consistent taste and mouthfeel in an economical and efficient way. Control of the cocoa and milk solids particle size and particle size distribution is critical to achieving this objective. The Mastersizer 3000 Chocosizer is designed to support chocolate production and quality control by providing a simple method for fast, reliable chocolate particle size analysis.
Mastersizer 3000E Extended only
Medium volume automated dispersion unit.
The Hydro MV is a medium volume unit for the controlled, automated wet dispersion of samples for particle size analysis. Suitable for both aqueous and non-aqueous applications, it is especially useful when sample size is limited and/or dispersant use must be minimized.
Large volume wet sample dispersion.
The Hydro LV is an automated large volume unit that controls wet dispersion of materials for particle size analysis. It is especially suitable for applications where the sample size is relatively large or the size distribution is very broad.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost