World’s most advanced light scattering system
The new Zetasizer Ultra is our most advanced system for the measurement of particle and molecular size, particle charge and particle concentration, and represents the most intelligent and flexible instrument in the Zetasizer range.
This flagship instrument enjoys all the benefits afforded by ZS Xplorer software, in terms of ease of use, analysis speed and data confidence, and also offers two unique measurement capabilities: Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS®) and Particle Concentration, to offer even greater insight into your samples.
Features and benefits
The Zetasizer Ultra is the world’s most capable combined DLS and ELS system, incorporating Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS®) and, uniquely, Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS) technology for the measurement of particle and molecular size. NIBS provides the versatility and sensitivity to measure over a wide concentration range, while MADLS permits a higher resolution view into your sample’s size distribution for those critical measurements.
An extension to MADLS affords the ability to directly analyze particle concentration. The measurement of particle concentration is calibration-free, suitable for a wide range of materials, requires no or little dilution, and is quick to use – all of which make it ideal as a screening technique. This is a unique capability of the Zetasizer Ultra which can even be applied to samples such as viruses and VLPs, which were previously very challenging to measure.
- Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS) scheme for absolute confidence in particle and molecular size distribution analysis
- Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS) measures particle and molecule size, from below 1 nm to 10 µm
- Electrophoretic Light Scattering (ELS) measures the zeta potential of particles and molecules, indicating sample stability and/or propensity to aggregate
- Non-Invasive Back-Scatter (NIBS) optics for versatile, high sensitivity, particle and molecular size measurements
- Simple, calibration-free particle concentration measurements
- Disposable capillary sizing cell provides the ultimate in non-destructive, low volume (down to 3 µL) analysis, with an upper size range that extends to 10 μm
- M3-PALS with Constant Current Mode for zeta potential and electrophoretic mobility measurements
- ZS Xplorer software suite for simple and flexible method set-up and data analysis
- Adaptive Correlation for faster, more reproducible sizing measurements with less sample preparation
- Deep Learning empowered data quality system for assessment of any size data quality issues, with clear advice on how to improve results
- Optical filter wheel with fluorescence filter to allow measurement of fluorescent samples without impairing overall system sensitivity. Also includes polarization filters for DDLS measurements
- The optional MPT-3 Auto titrator enables study of the effect of changes in pH
- A range of disposable and reusable cells are available to optimize the measurement in terms of sample volume and concentration, including the new low volume disposable sizing cell kit, which offers the dual benefits of size measurements in as little as 3uL, and extension to the upper size range of DLS measurements, due to the suppression of convection currents
The Malvern Panalytical Zetasizer Ultra can be used in many industry applications, including:
The Zetasizer is an essential analytical tool for many academic laboratories worldwide, finding use in all applications where particle or molecular size and zeta potential analysis is required. The breadth of applications covered by Zetasizer systems, coupled with tens of thousands of scientific citations, have earned these instruments a central space in many scientific faculties.
Variations in molecule concentration, external temperature, level of agitation and time all impact the stability of biological molecules. Instabilities mainly result in denaturation and aggregation of the molecule through which they can lose their biological function , elicit an immune response and consequently limit its therapeutic viability. Factors affecting therapeutic efficacy and immunogenicity therefore need to be monitored throughout the development pipeline especially at early stages to de-risk the biological drug molecule and limit late-stage failures. The Zetasizer range provides high quality, stability indicating data for biological drug molecules in a short time frame, enabling this measurement to be implemented throughout the development pipeline.
Food and drink
Zetasizer systems are used to analyze particle size and zeta potential to improve the appearance and taste of foods, drinks and flavorings, and optimize dispersion and emulsion stability to extend product shelf life and improve product performance.
Zetasizer measurements of nanoparticle size distribution, dispersion properties, stability and propensity to aggregate are crucial to the design of new nanomaterials. The very large surface area of such materials may result in novel physical and chemical properties, such as increased catalytic activity, improved solubility or unexpected optical or toxicological behaviour.
Paints, inks and coatings
Paint, ink and coating formulations must be stable to keep them in an optimum state over time without change or aggregation. Particle size and zeta potential, measured by the Zetasizer instruments, play important roles in determining a product’s properties, such as dispersibility, color, strength, finish, durability and shelf life.
The correct particle size and zeta potential can help ensure the production of effective therapeutics, delivered safely. Zetasizer systems are used to characterize the stability and quality of dispersions, emulsions and creams, reducing formulation time and speeding new products to market.
Particle size and molecular size
- Measurement principle:
- Dynamic light scattering (Non-Invasive Back-Scatter - NIBS)Dynamic light scattering (13°, 173°)Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS)
- Measurement angle:
- 173°, 13°, 90° ¹
- Measurement range:
- 0.3 nm - 10 μm (diameter) ²
- Minimum sample volume:
- 3 μL
- Concentration range:
Minimum sample concentration ³:
Forward angle (13°):
Side angle (90°):
Maximum sample concentration ⁴ ⁵:
- Measurement principle:
- Mixed-mode measurement, phase analysis light scattering (M3-PALS)
- Size range:
- 3.8 nm – 100 μm (diameter) ²
- Minimum sample volume:
- 20 μL ⁶
- Concentration range:
- 1 mg/mL ³ - 40% w/v ⁴ ⁵
- Sample conductivity range:
Maximum: 260 mS/cm
Accuracy: ± 10%
- Concentration range:
- 30nm gold: 1 x 10⁸ - 1 x 10¹² particles/mL
- Avalanche photodiode
- Temperature control range:
- Purge facility using dry air/nitrogen ⁷
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 322 mm x 565 mm x 245 mm
- 19 kg
- AC 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz, 4.0 A
- Power consumption:
- Max. 100 W, 45 W typical
- Ambient conditions:
- +10°C to +35°C (+50°F to +95°F) 35% - 80% RH (non-condensing)
- USB 2.0 or higher
1. Water as sample dispersant;
2. Peak mode range (diameter) 0.6 nm - 10 μm; sample & sample preparation dependent;
3. Measured using 15 kDa protein;
5. Measured using bile acid;
6. Using diffusion barrier method;
7. Temperature accuracy 0.1°C at 25°C, 0.2°C at 0°C, 0.5°C at 90°C, 2.5°C at 120°C
Zetasizer Ultra accessories
Viscosity measurement with speed, simplicity and accuracy.
The SV-10 measures viscosity with the accuracy required for dynamic light scattering, for the conversion of diffusion speed to size, and electrophoretic mobility to zeta potential, in an extremely simple and rapid system.
Cell and cuvette options
Eliminate sample cross contamination between zeta potential measurements using a completely disposable cell.
The zeta potential of colloids and molecules is extremely sensitive to contamination from components of a previous sample used in a measurement cell. The use of a disposable cell completely eliminates this potential contamination issue.
The folded capillary cell provides the benefits of the accuracy of measurement of a capillary cell with the ease of use of a disposable cell.
Although, disposable, including the electrodes, for low conductivity samples each cell can be used for hundreds of measurements if required.
The cell can be used with the autotitrator, where multiple measurements are routinely done over a wide pH range.
Save time and effort by measuring zeta potential with little or no dilution.
The high concentration cell enables the measurement of the zeta potential of samples with little or no dilution in any Zetasizer Nano system that measures zeta potential.
The cell has a flow configuration so can be used for stop-flow size and zeta potential measurements using an MPT-2 autotitrator as well as batch measurements.
Automate your pH titrations
The MPT-3 is a cost effective accessory for your Zetasizer Pro and Zetasizer Ultra, designed to automate your Zeta and/or Size vs. pH titrations, helping you understand how your materials behave as a function of pH.
The zeta potential and/or size of your materials with pH changes can be critical in understanding:
- Material stability
- Point of net zero charge (isoelectric point)
- Storage conditions
Disposable plastic micro cuvette, for size measurement at 173° (NIBS) optics only.
- 100 x 40µL cuvettes with 100 caps to avoid cross contamination.
- Compatible with aqueous samples and a range of other solvents: Acetone, Benzaldehyde, Butanone, Dioxane, DMF, Ethyl acetate, Isopropanol, plus various acids and bases.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost