Fundamental and practical aspects of X-Ray Powder Diffraction with the emphasis on the hands-on training on Empyrean or X’Pert3 Powder in conjunction with Data Collector and HighScore software.
The course is intended for both new and existing users of Empyrean and X’Pert3 Powder (X’Pert PRO MPD) diffractometers. The main purpose of this course is to help you to get the best results out of your instrument in terms of data quality, and it comprehensively covers the various aspects of Powder Diffraction, from the basic principles of the method to the optimization of scan parameters, concluding with more advanced applications such as parallel beam geometry, microdiffraction and 2D XRD. The main emphasis is on the practical aspects of work, with extensive hands-on sessions on Empyrean or X’Pert3 Powder in conjunction with the Data Collector software and the HighScore suite.
The main aspects covered during the course are the following:
• Basic principles of X-ray diffraction
• Hardware components and their function
• Practical aspects of sample preparation and data collection, fluorescent samples
• Set-up of measurement programs in Data Collector, automation possibilities
• Pattern treatment, phase identification, crystallite size analysis and set-up of analysis routines in HighScore
• Transmission vs reflection, parallel beam geometry, microdiffraction and 2D XRD