We offer a range of high end materials characterization techniques including optical imaging, laser diffraction and light scattering, along with solid-state characterization, to understand your particle properties.
Our service offering encompasses everything from bespoke characterization packages to one-off, niche testing, and includes method development, pre-validation, validation, method transfer and QC testing, plus storage stability.
The package can include: particle shape and size distribution, specific surface area and porosity, moisture, solvent or volatiles content, dissolution and solubility, solution stability, moisture stability (DVS), thermal properties (DSC, TGA), crystallinity / amorphicity and polymorphism (XRPD), morphology and association (optical and electron microscopy).
Particles from the nanometre range up to 3 mm and bigger can be analyzed, including sample types such as pure API, excipients, dry powder blends, formulations, and finished dosage forms.
- Size distribution of from sub-nanometre to several micrometers in diameter, using Dynamic Light Scattering
- Particle mobility and charge (Zeta potential) analysis of particles in suspension e.g. to improve formulation stability and shelf life
- Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (NTA) to characterize nanoparticles from 10nm - 1000nm in solution, with high throughput sample assistant
- Size distribution of particles in the micrometer range (and more) using Laser Diffraction; wide range of wet and dry dispersing units (Hydro S, SM, SV, MV, Aero S and Scirocco)
- Size distribution of dry powder samples using laser diffraction (Sympatec HELOS / RODOS with VIBRI and ASIPROS dispersers, wide range of lenses)
- Particle size and shape analysis using optical imaging, plus morphologically directed Raman spectroscopy (MDRS), providing size and shape analysis for specific particles within a complex formulation or product
- Sample preparation from dry powder and metered dose inhalers for size and shape analysis, plus uHPLC (NGI)
- Spray particle and spray droplet analysis from dry powder and metered dose inhalers, plus nasal sprays and aerosols
- Moisture Content by dynamic vapor sorption (DVS)
- Electron microscopy plus elemental analysis (SEM, SEM-EDX)
- Light obscuration particle counting for the determination of sub-visible particles and foreign particulate matter (APPS 2000)
- Solid state characterization by Powder X-Ray Diffraction
- Spectroscopy techniques
- Thermal properties
- BET Specific Surface Area and Porosity