Regular maintenance by the user of MicroCal iTC200 is essential for performing high quality experiments and for obtaining high quality results. Cell cleanliness has a significant impact on data quality.
After every run
The system should be cleaned after each run using the Cell and Syringe Wash command. If the signal appears noisier than expected or the baseline position is more the 1 µcal/sec different than the reference power, then clean the cell with 20% Contrad™ 70 (or 14% Decon™) and rinse with water, using the sample filling syringe, beforehand.
Clean the cell(s) with 20% Contrad™ 70 (or 14% Decon™ 90). Use the Detergent Soak and Rinse (long) command and follow the instructions to load the cell with 20% Contrad 70 (or 14% Decon 90) and heat for 30 minutes at 60°C. This should be done whenever a water rinse is insufficient to clean the cell properly. The easiest way to check if the cell needs cleaning is to check that the baseline position is no more than 1 μcal/sec lower than the reference power setting in the ITC experiment set up.
Refill the reference cell with de-ionized water.
Visually inspect the wash module while performing cell or syringe washing. Verify liquid is flowing to the waste bottle.
- Inspect the titration syringe carefully for breaks in the glass. Replace the syringe if it shows any sign of damage. Also inspect the FPA tip(s) for wear.
- Clean the titration syringe after reverse titrations (protein is loaded into the syringe) or monthly as preventive maintenance. Pull 2 × 100 μl of 20% Contrad 70 (or 14% Decon 90) into the syringe and then rinse with water using Syringe rinse long on the Accessory Station.
- Every 300 runs, or if it shows signs of wear, replace the plunger tip
|Operation||Necessary reagents, parts, and tools|
|Cell cleaning||20% Contrad 70 or 14% Decon 90|
|Filling the reference cell||Sample loading syringe, 28428942 (SYN50018P)|
|Replacing the plunger tip||Soft-grip tweezers, 28428966 (TOL50165P)
Tip removal tool, 29012502 (TOL021706)
Tip insertion tool, 28428964 (TOL25003)
Tip, 100ul plunger (pk/5), 28426097 (TIP130010-005)
|Cleaning the titration syringe||Soft-grip tweezers, 28428966 (TOL50165P)
Wire syringe cleaning, 28429013 (WIR020598)
Brush .060 IN, 28428967 (TOL501660)
Brush .200 IN, 28428968 (TOL501670)
|System verification||EDTA test kit, iTC200, 28429063 (KIT020988)|
For further instructions for maintaining MicroCal iTC200 system, refer to:
- MicroCal iTC200 System User Manual
- MicroCal iTC200 Operating Instructions
Malvern Instruments provides preventive maintenance service and will be happy to discuss the maintenance interval most suitable for your situation. Contact your local representative or find your local contact details here.