Surface water treatment, water remediation and waste water treatment are critical issues in providing safe drinking water. Control of turbidity and removal of NOM remains one of the main challenges facing water utilities. Control of the flocculation process and adjustment of coagulant dose during the course of water and waste water treatment is often a challenging step in the water treatment process.
Zeta potential is a measure of the electrical potential between particles, and indicates the repulsive interaction between particles; a zero zeta potential means that the conditions for aggregation of contaminants are maximized. Monitoring zeta potential during the water treatment process allows for accurate and precise assessment of the charge neutralization process. Zeta potential provides a measurable value to monitor the optimal coagulant dose during the water clarification process.
The benefits of using zeta potential measurement to determine water treatment-control strategies have been documented through case studies and will be reviewed. Results from both laboratory analyzers (Zetasizer Lab) and the on-line, automatic system (Zetasizer WT) will be discussed. Based on plant processing requirements, on-line real time monitoring is often preferred so that small changes in zeta potential can be immediately identified for water treatment optimization. On-line continuous process zeta potential monitoring benefits will be illustrated, by reporting on the experiences of utilities such as Tacoma Water in WA, Aurora Water in Aurora Colorado as well as other water treatment facilities in the US and UK.
Useful resources pertaining to water treatment and environment monitoring
- (Water treatment Application note): See how water treatment plants like the USA's One Aurora Water treatment facility, is using zeta potential as both an off- and on-line tool. Look out for how they have significantly reduced chemical usage costs and even reduced energy consumption. More info
- (Air monitoring webinar): Learn from India's Central Pollution Control Board on how to comply with pollution regulations and how to check the elemental analysis of source emissions. Register now
- (Air monitoring webinar): Live demo from our supply center in the Netherlands on non-destructive technology for analysing air filters. Register now
- Dr. Anand Tadas
Pour en savoir plus
Who should attend?
- Water treatment facility operators
- Water utility managers
- Anyone working in a field or application area that requires an understanding of coagulation, flotation and drinking water treatment
- Anyone interested in environmental issues or specifically involved in the study of water clarification, water remediation and waste water treatment.
What will you learn?
- Theory of zeta potential measurements
- And its role in optimizing water treatment clarification
- Case study examples will be presented to show how coagulant addition is optimized using zeta potential measurements
- And the chemical cost savings that can be achieved