Stop waiting for “ideal” weather to get your fieldwork done
The FieldSpec Dual collection software system leverages the value and utility of the world’s most trusted line of portable field spectrometers. The software intercalibrates and wirelessly synchronizes two ASD FieldSpec spectroradiometers to collect near simultaneous white reference and sample target radiance spectra. The system virtually eliminates errors associated with time varying atmospheric conditions, one of the biggest challenges to collecting accurate field spectra.
The FieldSpec Dual collection software system offers a radical shift in the workflow paradigm of traditional field spectral measurements.
- Minimizes inherent errors introduced by time varying atmospheric conditions and subjective manual reference measurements.
- Greatly increases opportunities for field data collection.
- Delivers an unprecedented level of confidence in the quality of data collected under solar illuminated conditions.
- Establishes a benchmark standard for spectral data collected in the field with solar illumination.
- Simplifies the spectral collection workflow for goniometer research and bidirectional reflectance studies.
- Increases efficiency and accuracy of vicarious sensor calibration and validation measurements.
The dynamic nature of atmospheric environments pose one of the greatest obstacles to the accuracy of field collected reflectance measurements. It’s important to understand that a target’s reflectance spectrum is derived by ratioing two radiance measurements; one from the target and one from a white reference panel. Illumination consistency between the two measurements is critical for the derivation of an error-free reflectance spectrum.
Traditionally the frequency, timing and consistency of the reference measurement were a subjective and manual process. To minimize the impacts of atmospheric variability data collection was limited to those days with ideal weather conditions: cloud free, stable, and low humidity.
FieldSpec Dual collection software automates and synchronizes white reference and target radiance measurements, eliminating the need for manual white reference measurements and opening your collection window into what were once marginal stand-by days.
Compatible instruments include all FieldSpec 4’s and FieldSpec 3’s serial number 16178 and higher. FieldSpec Dual system configuration requires at least one FieldSpec 4. Spectroradiometers must be of the same spectral resolution.
Dual Reference Mount and a Wave Length Calibration Puck are required for operating the FieldSpec Dual software. To ensure accuracy and a convenient, efficient workflow ASD also recommends factory re-calibration of existing instruments, a heavy duty tripod, and the tripod instrument hook.
Instrument Controller Requirements
The minimum requirements for the instrument controller are:
- Microsoft Windows 7 or 10
- For 32-bit systems, Intel® or compatible 2 GHz or faster processor
- For 64-bit systems, 2.4 GHz or faster processor
- Minimum of 2 GB of RAM, more recommended
- For the FieldSpec Dual collection software, 5 GB disk space
- To store sample data, 10 GB disk space
- One USB 2.0 port
- 1366 x 768 or higher graphics resolution 24-bit color or better, 32-bit recommended
- 10/100 Base-T Ethernet interface
- Ethernet wireless (Wi-Fi) adapter: PCMIA, USB, or internal that is compatible with the 802.11g standard
- (Optional) Serial communications port (RS-232 COM, Bluetooth®, or USB; only needed if a GPS is used).