Epsilon 4 Food & environment
Trust your product quality
Growing populations increase the need for a better handling of our earth’s resources. The Epsilon 4, an energy dispersive X-ray fluorescence (EDXRF) spectrometer, is a powerful analytical tool to obtain useful elemental information to maximize crop growth and ensure product and environmental safety.
The latest advances in excitation and detection technologies in Epsilon 4 open possibilities for challenging applications that are traditionally performed by ICP and AAS. Switching from ICP to EDXRF significantly reduces the use of consumables, utilities and time.
Epsilon 4 is used to control nutrients in animal feed to keep cattle healthy and minimize manure greenhouse gasses. Other applications include the monitoring of elemental composition of particle matter in ambient air (EPA IO3-3) or of nutrients and salt content in food products. Soil and fertilizer can be analyzed to optimize growth conditions and to ensure the absence of toxic elements according to ISO 18227, ISO 15309 and ASTM C1255.
Illustrated below are the significant added values achievable by Epsilon 4, which is just a single modest investment.
The power of benchtop XRF
Combining the latest excitation and detection technologies and smart design, the analytical performance of Epsilon 4 approaches that of more powerful and floor-standing spectrometers. Selective excitation and careful matching of the X-ray tube output to the capabilities of the detection system underlie the system’s outstanding performance.
Low running costs
- No need for expensive acids
- No need for liquid nitrogen
- No sample preparation, just place the sample directly into the spectrometer.
- Expensive standards (like air filters) are not destroyed after the analysis and can be re-used as quality control or validation samples.
- Low maintenance through high-quality X-ray tube and silicon drift detector
- Powerful deconvolution algorithm in Epsilon software ensures accurate results even when element peaks are overlapping in the XRF spectrum.
- Blank subtraction in Epsilon software provides flexibility and accuracy when analyzing air filters with different backing material.
- Continuous rotation of the sample during measurement minimizes any errors caused by non-homogeneity and provides more accurate results.
Fast and sensitive
Unique detector electronics enable a linear count rate capacity to over 1,500,000 cps (at 50% dead time) and a count rate independent resolution typically better than 135 eV for better separation of analytical lines in the spectrum. This allows the Epsilon 4 spectrometer to run at full power and therefore realizes a much higher sample throughput compared to traditional EDXRF benchtop instruments.
Reduce helium consumption
|Sample handling||X-ray tube||Detector||Software|
|10-position removable sample changer||Metal-ceramic side window for maximum stability||High-resolution silicon drift detector (SDD), typically 135 eV @ Mn-Kα||Elemental screening with Omnian standardless analysis solution|
|Spectrometer can accommodate samples (soils, liquids, solids and air filters) up to 52 mm in diameter||50 micrometers thin beryllium window for high sensitivity for light elements (Na, Mg, Al, Si)||Max. count rate of 1,500,000 counts/s at 50% dead time||PASS/FAIL analysis with FingerPrint solution|
|Spinner is included for more accurate results of liquids and solids||Ag anode X-ray tube for best performance of P, S and Cl analysis||Thin-entrance detector window for high sensitivity||Audit trail software option for enhanced data security in compliance with FDA 21 Cfr part 11|
Standards (Reference materials)
Epsilon software is the XRF analysis software platform that is used with PANalytical’s range of Epsilon 1 and Epsilon 4 benchtop EDXRF systems.
Omnian software enables users to achieve the best possible analysis when dedicated methods or certified standards do not exist.
A FingerPrint software module combined with an Epsilon EDXRF system is ideal for material testing when analysis speed is important but the actual composition is not of interest.
Solutions to maximize the return on your investment
To assure that your instrument remains in top condition and performs on the highest level, Malvern Panalytical offers a wide range of services. Our expertise and support services assure an optimal functioning of your instrument.
Service for a lifetime
- Phone and remote support
- Preventive maintenance and checkups
- Flexible Customer Care Agreements
- Performance certificates
- Hardware and software upgrades
- Local and global support
Adding value to your processes
- Sample preparation development/optimization
- Analytical methodologies
- Turnkey solutions for XRD
- Operations via IQ/OQ/PQ, quality assurance (GLP, ISO17025) or round robins/inter laboratory studies
- Automation of lab processes
- Consultancy services
Training and education
- Training on-site or at our competence centers
- Broad range of basic and advanced courses on products, applications and software
Analytical services and calibration materials
- Expert (XRF) analyses services
- Oxides and trace analysis
- Customized calibration materials
Epsilon 4 spectrometers can handle a large variety of sample types weighing from a few milligrams to larger bulk samples.
Samples can be measured as:
- Pressed powders
- Loose powders
- Fused beads
- Films and coatings