The Importance of Powder Quality and Recycling in Powder Bed Fusion Additive Manufacturing Processes
Additive Manufacturing (AM) is currently revolutionizing the manufacturing world as it can be used to produce much more complex parts while reducing waste when compared to traditional subtractive methods. In powder bed fusion AM processes, such as Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), materials are selectively connected layer by layer to produce a part based on a 3D model. Today we are focusing on the importance of powder characterization for thermoplastic polymers that are commonly used in powder bed fusion AM processes, such as nylon 12.
In this webinar we will show why particle size and shape characterization of the polymer feedstock is critical for additive manufacturing and how the Morphologi 4 automated imaging system can be used to investigate this.
We will look at how the particle size and shape of different types of polymer commonly used in additive manufacturing affects the packing behaviour and flow characteristics of the powders. Assessment is key as this will affect powder layer formation, ultimately influencing manufacturing efficiency and final part quality.
We will also look at powder recycling in powder bed fusion AM processes. The ability to recycle unused powder offers the potential for great resource efficiency. However, this efficiency depends strongly on the condition of the recycled powder, as any change risks a drop in final part quality. We will show how the Morphologi 4 can be used to classify and compare new and recycled powders based on their particle shape.
- Measurement type:
- February 25 2021 - February 25 2021
10:30 - 11:30
Eastern Time [US & Canada]
- Event type:
- Webinar - Live
- Morphologi 4
- Image analysis
- Advanced Manufacturing
Jennifer Burt - Application Specialist for Analytical Imaging and Laser Diffraction - Malvern Panalytical
Who should attend?
- Research and development scientists looking to bring improvements to their additive manufacturing processes.
- Polymer powder manufacturers looking to optimize product development.
What will you learn?
- Learn how the Morphologi 4 is being used to characterize polymer powders in AM processes.
- Learn why measuring particle size and shape is important for polymer powder bed fusion processes.
- Learn how monitoring recycled powder properties can be achieved with the Morphologi 4.
- Learn how automated image analysis complements and adds value to traditional powder characterization techniques.