Entry-level particle size and zeta potential analyzer with enhanced capabilities
Our entry-level Zetasizer does not compromise on features. The Zetasizer Lab incorporates Adaptive Correlation, M3-PALS and constant current zeta mode. The Zetasizer Lab also ships with ZS Xplorer, easy-to-use analytical software. ZS Xplorer offers instant feedback on data quality, and guidance on how to improve your results.
Features and benefits
Works with OmniTrust: Malvern Panalytical's compliance solution for the regulated environment
The Zetasizer Lab is the perfect entry-level system, offering a wide range of features, including:
- DLS analysis: particle size measurements from 0.3 nm to 10 μm
- Extended size range analysis offers improved accuracy for particle sizes above 1 μm, and indicative results above 10 μm (using ZSU1002 Low Volume Disposable Sizing Cell)
- Zeta potential of nanoparticles and colloids using M3-PALS analysis and constant current zeta mode
- Molecular weight using Static Light Scattering at 90°
- Supports use of Low Volume Disposable Capillary Cell for size measurements in sample volumes as low as 3 μL
- Available in Blue Label and Red Label variants:
- Choose Blue Label for routine sample investigation such as metallic colloids, metal oxides and pigments
- Choose Red Label for more challenging sample types, such as proteins, surfactant solutions and low solid content samples
- On-site upgradeability to either Zetasizer Pro or Zetasizer Ultra models
The Zetasizer Lab can be used for many applications, including:
The Zetasizer Lab is an essential analytical tool for many academic laboratories worldwide, finding use in all applications where particle or molecular size and zeta potential analysis is required. The breadth of applications covered by Zetasizer systems, coupled with tens of thousands of scientific citations, have earned these instruments a central space in many scientific faculties.
Variations in molecule concentration, external temperature, level of agitation and time all impact the stability of biological molecules. Instabilities mainly result in denaturation and aggregation of the molecule through which they can lose their biological function, elicit an immune response and consequently limit its therapeutic viability. Factors affecting therapeutic efficacy and immunogenicity therefore need to be monitored throughout the development pipeline especially at early stages to de-risk the biological drug molecule and limit late-stage failures. The Zetasizer range provides high quality, stability-indicating data for biological drug molecules in a short time frame, enabling this measurement to be implemented throughout the development pipeline.
Food and drink
Zetasizer systems are used to analyze particle size and zeta potential to improve the appearance and taste of foods, drinks and flavorings, and optimize dispersion and emulsion stability to extend product shelf life and improve product performance.
Zetasizer measurements of nanoparticle size distribution, dispersion properties, stability and propensity to aggregate are crucial to the design of new nanomaterials. The very large surface area of such materials may result in novel physical and chemical properties, such as increased catalytic activity, improved solubility or unexpected optical or toxicological behavior.
Paints, inks and coatings
Paint, ink and coating formulations must be stable to keep them in an optimum state over time without change or aggregation. Particle size and zeta potential, measured by the Zetasizer instruments, play important roles in determining a product’s properties, such as dispersibility, color, strength, finish, durability and shelf life.
The correct particle size and zeta potential can help ensure the production of effective therapeutics, delivered safely. Zetasizer systems are used to characterize the stability and quality of dispersions, emulsions and creams, reducing formulation time and speeding new products to market.
Particle size and molecular size
- Measurement principle:
- Classical 90° Dynamic Light Scattering
- Measurement angle:
- 90°, 13° (1)
- Measurement range:
- 0.3 nm to 15 μm (2)
- Minimum sample volume:
- 3 μL
- Concentration range:
- Minimum Sample Concentration:Blue Label: 1 mg/mL 15 kDa ProteinRed Label: 0.3 mg/mL 15 kDa ProteinMaximum sample Concentration: (3)40% w/v
- Measurement principle:
- Mixed-Mode Measurement phase analysis light scattering (M3-PALS)
- Size range:
- 3.8 nm – 100 μm
- Minimum sample volume:
- 20 μL (4)
- Concentration range:
- Red Label: 1 mg/mL (5) to 40% w/v (6)Blue Label: 10 mg/mL (5) to 40% w/v (6)
- Sample conductivity range:
- Maximum: 260 mS/cm
Static Light Scattering (molecular weight)
- Measurement principle:
- Static Light Scattering with Debye Plot
- Molecular weight range:
- 980 Da – 20 MDa
- +/- 10% typical
- Avalanche Photodiode
- Laser safety:
- He-Ne (633 nm)Blue label: 4 mW MaxRed label: 10 mW Max
- Temperature control range:
- 0°C to 120°C (7)
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 322 mm x 565 mm x 245 mm
- 19 kg
- AC 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz, 4.0 A
- Power consumption:
- Max 100 W, Typical 45 W
- Ambient conditions:
- +10°C to +35°C, 35 to 80% RH (Non-condensing)
- USB 2.0 or higher
- 1 - Water as dispersant2 - Indicative data available for particle sizes greater than 10 μm when using Extended Size Range analysis and low volume disposable sizing cell accessory3 - Sample dependent4 - Using patented diffusion barrier technique5 - Measured using 15 kDa protein6 - Measured using bile acid7 - Dry nitrogen cell purge required for temperatures below dewpoint8 - Accuracy 0.1°C at 25°C, 0.2°C at 0°C, 0.5°C at 90°C
Automate your pH titrations
The MPT-3 is a cost-effective accessory for the Zetasizer Advance range, designed to automate your Zeta and/or Size vs. pH titrations, helping you understand how your materials behave as a function of pH.
The zeta potential and/or size of your materials with pH changes can be critical in understanding:
- Material stability
- Point of net-zero charge (isoelectric point)
- Storage conditions
Viscosity measurement with speed, simplicity and accuracy.
The SV-10 measures viscosity with the accuracy required for dynamic light scattering, for the conversion of diffusion speed to size, and electrophoretic mobility to zeta potential, in an extremely simple and rapid system.
Cell and cuvette options
Eliminate sample cross contamination between zeta potential measurements using a completely disposable cell.
The zeta potential of colloids and molecules is extremely sensitive to contamination from components of a previous sample used in a measurement cell. The use of a disposable cell completely eliminates this potential contamination issue.
The folded capillary cell provides the benefits of the accuracy of measurement of a capillary cell with the ease of use of a disposable cell.
Although, disposable, including the electrodes, for low conductivity samples each cell can be used for hundreds of measurements if required.
The cell can be used with the autotitrator, where multiple measurements are routinely done over a wide pH range.
Our low volume disposable sizing cell (ZSU1002) design is unique in offering easy-fill, ultra-low volume size measurement in as little as 3 μL.
- Measure larger particles (up to 10 μm) with greater accuracy thanks to the inherent physical qualities of the capillary sizing cell
- The cell also eliminates the errors associated with multiple scattering, allowing samples to be measured over a wider dynamic concentration range than would normally be possible at side scatter (90°)
- The use of ZSU1002 is supported on Zetasizer Lab and Zetasizer Ultra models
Save time and effort by measuring zeta potential with little or no dilution.
The high concentration cell enables the measurement of the zeta potential of samples with little or no dilution in any Zetasizer Advance system that measures zeta potential.
The cell has a flow configuration so can be used for stop-flow size and zeta potential measurements using an MPT-3 autotitrator as well as batch measurements.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical’s service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- User training events
Malvern Panalytical’s service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs** Platinum 2 places per contract term, Gold 1 place per contract term***available at an additional cost
Get your new Zetasizer Advance system up and running faster when you choose to self-install.
With comprehensive resources to help you quickly and safely set-up and verify the performance of your new instrument, there’s no need to wait for an engineer to do it for you. What’s more, self-install presents a new training opportunity as you receive full access to exclusive training material.
How does it work?
When you follow the step-by-step video instructions, you could be up and running within 60 minutes of delivery of your new Zetasizer Advance system.
You don't need any specific skills or knowledge to perform a self-install. Simply follow the instructions provided. Everything needed to get started is provided with your new instrument – all you need is an internet connection to access the online training.
Exclusive e-learning content
Resources to get you up and running quickly and with confidence include:
- detailed video guides walk you through installation and set-up
- 15 months' access to the Essentials e-learning course, which is provided at no extra cost
- a comprehensive user manual