Ideal for applications where sample volume needs to be minimized, the Hydro SM is a manually controlled pump and stirrer dispersion unit featuring:
- Small sample volume from 50ml -120ml.
- Continuously variable single shaft pump and stirrer with digital readout.
- Software driven SOPs with appropriate user prompts to assist with adherence to GLP and ensure reproducibility of measurements.
- Manual fill, drain and cleaning.
- Chemically compatible as standard.
How it works
Wet sample dispersion units use a liquid dispersant, aqueous or solvent based, to disperse the sample. In a wet dispersion, individual particles are suspended in a liquid dispersant. The wetting of the particle surfaces by the dispersant molecules lowers their surface energy, reducing the forces of attraction between touching particles. This allows them to be separated and go into suspension. In order to keep the sample suspended and homogenized it is recirculated continuously through the measurement zone.
For dispersants with high surface tension, such as water, the addition of a small amount of surfactant can significantly improve the wetting behavior and subsequent particle dispersion.
In order to disperse individual particles it is usual to apply some energy to the sample. Often this is through stirring or agitation, but for very fine materials or strongly bound agglomerates ultrasonic irradiation is sometimes used.
- Sample volume:
- 50-120 ml
- Particle size:
- Up to 600µm – sample dependent
- Stirrer speed:
- 350 - 3,500rpm
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- Controller unit: 225mm x 170mm x 80mm Dispersion unit: 140mm x 175mm x 390mm
- Controller unit: 1kg Dispersion unit: 6.75kg
- 100-240V AC 50-60Hz 20W
- Chemical compatibility:
- Perlast® seals as standard. Full chemical compatibility requires the measurement cell to be fitted with an additional Perlast ® seal.