The Gold Standard for measuring affinity and stoichiometry
The MicroCal PEAQ-ITC is a highly sensitive, low volume isothermal titration calorimeter for the label-free in solution study of biomolecular interactions. It delivers direct measurement of all binding parameters in a single experiment and can analyze weak to high affinity binders, using as little as 10µg sample. Semi-automated maintenance minimizes operator intervention and the system is upgradable to the fully automated MicroCal PEAQ-ITC Automated, making it ideal for laboratories where speed, sensitivity and the ability to accommodate higher workloads in the future are paramount.
Features and benefits
MicroCal PEAQ-ITC is designed for ease-of-use and exceptional sensitivity. The system directly measures heat released or absorbed during biochemical binding events, from which it calculates binding affinity (KD), stoichiometry (n), enthalpy (ΔH), and entropy (ΔS). With minimal sample preparation and system optimization data is generated quickly and easily. The wide affinity range enables analysis of weak to high affinity binders, with excellent reproducibility. MicroCal ITC is an essential tool for any research laboratory studying biomolecular interactions where high sensitivity and fast results are paramount.
- User-friendly guided workflows with embedded help videos give any level of user the ability to generate high quality data.
- High signal to noise gives more confidence in accessing data quality and relevance of generated affinity and thermodynamic parameters.
- Automated washing with detergent of the sample cell and titration syringe assists in producing high quality reproducible data.
- All binding parameters (affinity, stoichiometry, enthalpy and entropy) in a single experiment.
- Quick to first results with no assay development, no labeling, no immobilization and no molecular weight limitations.
- Sensitivity to investigate any biomolecular interaction using as little as 10µg of protein.
- Directly measures millimolar to nanomolar affinities (KDS) (10-2 to 10-9 M).
- Measures nanomolar to picomolar disassociation constants using competitive binding techniques (10-9 to 10-12M).
- Nonreactive Hastelloy for chemical resistance and compatibility with biological samples.
- Compatible with non-aqueous solvents.
- Upgradable to fully automated MicroCal PEAQ-ITC Automated.
A wide range of applications can be investigated with MicroCal PEAQ-ITC, including characterization of molecular interactions of small molecules, proteins, antibodies, nucleic acids, lipids and other biomolecules. It can also be used to measure enzyme kinetics.
MicroCal PEAQ-ITC analysis software offers experiment design simulation, batch evaluation of large data sets, automated assessment of data quality and a streamlined user interface that guides the user to final figures and presentation quality graphs quickly and easily.
- Open multiple experiments in a single session.
- Supports many automated fitting models.
- Enzyme Kinetics - Multiple Injections.
- Enzyme Kinetics - Single Injection.
- One Set of Sites.
- Sequential Binding Sites.
- One Set of Sites - SIM.
- Two Sets of Sites.
- Automated assessment of data quality.
- Good quality data – Binding.
- Good quality data - No binding.
- Poor quality data – Check data.
How it works
Isothermal titration microcalorimeters measure the heat change that occurs when two molecules interact. Heat is released or absorbed as a result of the redistribution and formation of non-covalent bonds when the interacting molecules go from the free to the bound state. ITC monitors these heat changes by measuring the differential power, applied to the cell heaters, required to maintain zero temperature difference between the reference and sample cells as the binding partners are mixed. The reference cell usually contains water, while the sample cell contains one of the binding partners (the sample, often but not necessarily a macromolecule) and a stirring syringe which holds the other binding partner (the ligand). The ligand is injected into the sample cell, typically in 0.5 to 2 μL aliquots, until the ligand concentration is two- to three-fold greater than the sample. Each injection of ligand results in a heat pulse that is integrated with respect to time and normalized for concentration to generate a titration curve of kcal/mol vs molar ratio (ligand/sample). The resulting isotherm is fitted to a binding model to generate the affinity (KD), stoichiometry (n) and enthalpy of interaction (ΔH).
- Measurement type:
- Affinity (KD)
- Measurement type:
- Enthalpy ∆H
- Measurement type:
- Entropy ∆S
- Measurement type:
- Stoichiometry (n)
- Sample volume:
- 280 µL
- Cell volume:
- 200 µL
- Injection syringe volume:
- 40 µL
- Injection volume precision:
- < 1% @ 2 µL
- Sample throughput:
- 0-12 per 8 h day
- Cell material:
- 0.15 ncal/s
- Temperature range:
- 2°C to 80°C
- Temperature stability:
- ± 0.00012°C
- Response time:
- 8 s*
- Multiple feedback modes:
- Yes (passive, high gain, low gain)
- *The MicroCal PEAQ-ITC Instrument Response Time is a true time constant. It is the time interval between the first deviation away from the baseline, and the point on the peak that is 63% of the maximum peak height.
- Temperature (operating):
- 10°C to 28°C
- 0% to 70% RH, non condensing
- 100 - 200 V, 50/60 Hz, 130 W
- 13.6 kg
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 43 x 38 x 46 cm (calorimeter + wash station)
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost
MicroCal PEAQ-ITC instruments provide value to a wide range of applications, some of which are outlined below.
Affinity determination of biological systems
ITC is ideal for measuring very accurate affinities and stoichiometries of biological interactions. It does not require the labelling or immobilization of the interacting molecules and has no molecular mass limitations. There are many 1000s of articles in the literature that have used ITC to study biological interactions involving proteins, nucleic acids, antibodies, carbohydrates, lipids ATP, inhibitors and drug compounds to name some of the more common examples.
Mechanism of Action
Where does the ligand bind the target? At the active site? At the allosteric site? Is the interaction competitive, non-competitive or uncompetitive with respect to other ligands and cofactors? Is the binding cooperative? ITC can give you an insight into these mechanisms of binding and interaction.
Do you have a simple assay for your enzyme? Does your assay involve complex assay set up? Does modifying your substrate interfere with your SAR or mechanistic studies. ITC can be used to study any enzyme reaction and requires only nano to picogrammes of material AND is label free.
Critical Micelle concentration
ITC has been used extensively for the determination of CMCs for a great variety of micellar complexes including surfactants, block copolymers, surface-active peptides and proteins, as well as of amino-acid-type surfactants and amino-functionalized lipids.
Application note: Analysis of demicellization data from isothermal titration calorimetry