The SV-10 measures viscosity with the accuracy required for dynamic light scattering, for the conversion of diffusion speed to size, and electrophoretic mobility to zeta potential, in an extremely simple and rapid system.
Features and benefits
Works with OmniTrust: Malvern Panalytical's compliance solution for the regulated environment
Even novice users will produce the highest-quality measurements using the Zetasizer Pro, which benefits from:
- Dynamic Light Scattering (DLS), which measures particle and molecule size, from 0.3 nm to 10 µm
- Electrophoretic Light Scattering (ELS), which measures the zeta potential of particles and molecules, indicating sample stability and/or propensity to aggregate
- Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS), optics for versatile, high sensitivity, particle and molecular size measurements and molecular weight measurements
- M3-PALS with Constant Current Mode, for zeta potential and electrophoretic mobility measurements
- ZS Xplorer software suite, for simple and flexible method set-up and data analysis
- Adaptive Correlation, for faster, more reproducible sizing measurements with less sample preparation
- Deep learning-based data quality system, for assessment of any size data quality issues, with clear advice on how to improve results
- Optical filter wheel with fluorescence filter, to allow measurement of fluorescent samples without impairing overall system sensitivity. Also includes polarization filters for DDLS measurements
- Available in Blue Label and Red Label variants:
- Choose Blue Label for routine sample investigation such as metallic colloids, metal oxides and pigments
- Choose Red Label for more challenging sample types, such as proteins, surfactant solutions and low solid content samples
- On-site upgradeability to Zetasizer Ultra, should your requirements change
- The optional MPT-3 Autotitrator enables study of the effect of changes in pH
- A range of disposable and reusable cells are available to optimize the measurement in terms of sample volume and concentration
Which Zetasizer is right for me?
|Zetasizer Ultra||Zetasizer Pro||Zetasizer Lab|
|Size Measurement Principle||Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS)
Dynamic Light Scattering
Dynamic Light Scattering (90° and 13°)
Multi-Angle Dynamic Light Scattering (MADLS®)
|Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS)
Dynamic Light Scattering
|Classical 90° Dynamic Light Scattering|
|Zeta Measurement Principle||ELS with M3-PALS and Constant Current Zeta Mode||ELS with M3-PALS and Constant Current Zeta Mode||ELS with M3-PALS and Constant Current Zeta Mode|
|Molecular Weight and B22||Static Light Scattering (90° and 173°)||Static Light Scattering (173°)||Static Light Scattering (90°)|
|Optical Filter Wheel (Fluorescence/DDLS)||Yes||Yes||No|
|Low Volume Disposable Sizing Cell with Extended Size Analysis Support||Yes||No||Yes|
|MADLS® (High Resolution DLS)||Yes||No||No|
|MADLS® - Particle Concentration/Titer||Yes2||No||No|
|21 CFR Part 11 compliant software||Optional via Omnitrust||Optional via Omnitrust||Optional via Omnitrust|
|Range2||0.3 nm to 10 μm||0.3 nm to 10 μm||0.3 nm to 10 μm|
|Minimum Volume||3 μL||12 μL||3 μL|
|Size Range||3.8 nm to 100 μm||3.8 nm to 100 μm||3.8 nm to 100 μm|
|Minimum Volume3||20 μL||20 μL||20 μL|
Red Label only
2 10 um by default. Option to extend for Zetasizer Lab and Zetasizer Ultra coming soon
3 Patented Diffusion Barrier method in capillary cell
The Zetasizer Pro is suitable for a wide range of applications, including:
- Colloidal Silica
- Sizing of colloidal silica is a critical requirement. This is easily and reproducibly measured using the Zetasizer Lab Blue Label.
- Titanium Dioxide
- Titanium dioxide use is wide-ranging. When used in paints or inks, agglomerate or aggregate formation can diminish product performance. The Zetasizer Pro Blue Label, used alongside the MPT‑3 Autotitrator, characterizes the impact of salt concentration on the stability of TiO2 and identifies the most stable pH region.
The strength of ceramics is linked to particle size. Al2O3 samples are often made of differently-sized particles which can easily be identified using MADLS. In this 0.1% w/v sample, the two particle size populations would not be distinguishable with a single angle DLS measurement.
For protein researchers, early access to characterization data can be a challenge, due to low sample volumes. This is easily overcome using the Zetasizer Lab Red Label with the capillary cell to confirm that samples meet quality requirements and that production and purification processes are optimized.
- Carbon Dots (C-dots)
- Photoluminescent C-dots are considered safer alternatives to quantum dots. Measuring fluorescent samples by DLS can be challenging due to additional photons emitted by the fluorophore. Available with NIBS on Zetasizer Pro Red Label, a filter removes this interference to provide accurate and reliable data.
- Adeno-Associated Virus (AAV)
- Monitoring viral concentration is important during development and production optimization. By using Multi-Angle DLS (MADLS) based particle concentration measurement, both the size distribution and titer of the virus can be measured within a few minutes.
The Zetasizer Pro is used in many industries, including:
- The Zetasizer Pro is an essential analytical tool for many academic laboratories worldwide, finding use in all applications where particle or molecular size and zeta potential analysis is required. The breadth of applications covered by Zetasizer systems, coupled with tens of thousands of scientific citations, have earned these instruments a central space in many scientific faculties.
- Variations in molecule concentration, external temperature, level of agitation and time all impact the stability of biological molecules. Instabilities mainly result in denaturation and aggregation of the molecule through which they can lose their biological function , elicit an immune response and consequently limit its therapeutic viability. Factors affecting therapeutic efficacy and immunogenicity therefore need to be monitored throughout the development pipeline especially at early stages to de-risk the biological drug molecule and limit late-stage failures. The Zetasizer range provides high quality, stability indicating data for biological drug molecules in a short time frame, enabling this measurement to be implemented throughout the development pipeline.
- Food and drink
Zetasizer systems are used to analyze particle size and zeta potential to improve the appearance and taste of foods, drinks and flavorings, and optimize dispersion and emulsion stability to extend product shelf life and improve product performance.
Zetasizer measurements of nanoparticle size distribution, dispersion properties, stability and propensity to aggregate are crucial to the design of new nanomaterials. The very large surface area of such materials may result in novel physical and chemical properties, such as increased catalytic activity, improved solubility or unexpected optical or toxicological behavior.
- Paints, inks and coatings
- Paint, ink and coating formulations must be stable to keep them in an optimum state over time without change or aggregation. Particle size and zeta potential, measured by the Zetasizer instruments, play important roles in determining a product’s properties, such as dispersibility, color, strength, finish, durability and shelf life.
- The correct particle size and zeta potential can help ensure the production of effective therapeutics, delivered safely. Zetasizer systems are used to characterize the stability and quality of dispersions, emulsions and creams, reducing formulation time and speeding new products to market.
Particle size and molecular size
Non-Invasive Back Scatter (NIBS)
Dynamic Light Scattering
|Measurement range||Diameter: 0.3 nm - 10 μm|
|Minimum sample volume||
Minimum sample concentration:
Blue Label: 0.2 mg/mL 15 kDa Protein
Red Label: 0.1 mg/mL 15 kDa Protein
Maximum sample concentration: (3)
Mixed-Mode Measurement phase analysis light scattering (M3-PALS)
|Size range||Diameter: 3.8 nm – 100 μm (2)|
|Minimum sample volume||20 μL (4)|
Red Label: 1 mg/mL (5) to 40% w/v (6)
Blue Label: 10 mg/mL (5) to 40% w/v (6)
|Sample conductivity range||
Maximum: 260 mS/cm
Static Light Scattering (molecular weight)
|Molecular weight range||300 Da to 20 MDa|
Static Light Scattering with Debye Plot
+/- 10% typical
He-Ne (633 nm)
Blue label: 4 mW Max
Red label: 10 mW Max
|Temperature control range||0°C - 120°C (7)|
|Dimensions (W, D, H)||
322 mm x 565 mm x 245 mm
|Power||AC 100-240 V, 50-60 Hz, 4.0 A|
Max 100 W, Typical 45 W
+10°C to +35°C, 35 to 80% RH (Non-condensing)
|Interface||USB 2.0 or higher|
1 - Water as dispersant
2 - Indicative data available for particle sizes greater than 10 μm when using Extended Size Range analysis and low volume disposable sizing cell accessory
3 - Sample dependent
4 - Using patented diffusion barrier technique
5 - Measured using 15 kDa protein
6 - Measured using bile acid
7 - Dry nitrogen cell purge required for temperatures below dewpoint
8 - Accuracy 0.1°C at 25°C, 0.2°C at 0°C, 0.5°C at 90°C
Configure the Zetasizer Pro for your applications and requirements with our range of configuration options:
The MPT-3 is a cost-effective accessory for the Zetasizer Advance range, designed to automate your Zeta and/or Size vs. pH titrations, helping you understand how your materials behave as a function of pH.
The zeta potential and/or size of your materials with pH changes can be critical in understanding:
- Material stability
- Point of net-zero charge (isoelectric point)
- Storage conditions
Cell & cuvette options
The zeta potential of colloids and molecules is extremely sensitive to contamination from components of a previous sample used in a measurement cell. The use of a disposable cell completely eliminates this potential contamination issue.
The folded capillary cell provides the benefits of the accuracy of measurement of a capillary cell with the ease of use of a disposable cell.
Although, disposable, including the electrodes, for low conductivity samples each cell can be used for hundreds of measurements if required.
The cell can be used with the autotitrator, where multiple measurements are routinely done over a wide pH range.
The high concentration cell enables the measurement of the zeta potential of samples with little or no dilution in any Zetasizer Advance system that measures zeta potential.
The cell has a flow configuration so can be used for stop-flow size and zeta potential measurements using an MPT-3 autotitrator as well as batch measurements.
- For size and molecular weight measurements
- Compatible with aqueous and non-aqueous solvents and dispersants
- For size and zeta potential measurements using the ‘dip’ cell
- Compatible with aqueous and non-aqueous solvents and dispersants
- Compatible with size and molecular weight measurements with aqueous and non-aqueous solvents and dispersants
- Minimum sample volume 12 microliters
- Maximum volume 45 microliters
- 100 disposable cells complete with 100 stoppers to avoid cross-contamination
- For size measurements using aqueous dispersants
- Compatible with zeta potential measurements using the dip cell
- 100 x 40µL cuvettes with 100 caps to avoid cross-contamination
- Compatible with aqueous samples and a range of other solvents: Acetone, Benzaldehyde, Butanone, Dioxane, DMF, Ethyl acetate, Isopropanol, plus various acids and bases
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
- User training events
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs ***available at an additional cost
Unleash the potential of your data
Until now, instrument data has too often been stuck in manual records, spreadsheets or site-specific servers. By connecting your Zetasizer Pro to our Smart Manager and continually analyzing instrument data in the cloud, you can unleash its full potential. This is just one of our digital solutions that are part of Malvern Panalytical's Smart Manager.
Get your new Zetasizer Pro up and running faster when you choose to smart install.
With comprehensive resources to help you quickly and safely set-up and verify the performance of your new instrument, there’s no need to wait for an engineer to do it for you. What’s more, smart install presents a new training opportunity as you receive full access to exclusive training material.
How does it work?
When you follow the step-by-step video instructions, you could be up and running within 90 minutes of delivery of your new Zetasizer Pro.
You don't need any specific skills or knowledge to perform a smart installation. Simply follow the instructions provided.
Everything needed to get started is provided with your new instrument – all you need is an internet connection to access the online training.
Exclusive e-learning content
Resources to get you up and running quickly and with confidence include:
- detailed video guides walk you through installation and set-up;
- 15-months access to the Essentials e-learning course, which is provided at no extra cost;
- a comprehensive user manual.