Tight control of every step in production process is of outmost importance for achieving the maximum efficiency and quality of cement. From stock pile management, production of raw meal, preparation of kiln feed and the production of clinker right through to the final mixing of the end product the control is driven by the elemental, mineralogical composition and particle size analysis.
The latest demands on CO2 emissions drive the use of alternative fuels and the production of blended cements using supplementary cementitious materials like slag, fly-ash, pozzolan or silica fume. Here, elemental and mineralogical analyses of the intermediate and final products as well as fuels become even more important, while accurate and precise measurement of fineness is critical for optimal grinding. This requires reliable and rugged solutions for steering the process in the most cost-effective way for the highest quality cement or concrete. Malvern Panalytical offers solutions that meet these demands and seamlessly integrate into the production process.
With our cement industry and application knowledge, Malvern Panalytical instruments enable:
• Control of mill operation through analysis of composition and fineness of raw mill feed
• Check of mill operation through quality control of raw meal
• Check of composition and material balances (e.g. K, Na, S, Cl) through filter/ESP dust analysis
• Identify causes for coating formation
• Kiln feed analysis through consistency check between raw mill product, kiln feed and clinker analyses, material balances (e.g. K, Na, S, Cl), silo blending efficiency, burnability, heat consumption
• Analysis of cyclone samples / hot meal samples to check dust separation efficiencies, and degree of calcination, material balances (e.g. K, Na, S, Cl), silo blending efficiency, fuel burn–out
• Check of coal mill operation, fuel consumption, ash absorption in clinker, material balances (e.g. K, Na, S, Cl), burn–out in calciner, NOx –formation
• Check fuel consumption, sulphur absorption in clinker, material balances (e.g. K, Na, S, Cl) and NOx –formation
• Clinker analysis to check kiln operation and clinker quality and material balances (e.g. K, Na, S, Cl)
• Analysis of finished cement to check mill operation, gypsum and SCM additions as well as quality of the finished cement (e.g. EN 197, ASTM C150, ASTM C595 and ASTM C1157).