The Hydro EV has a unique dip-in centrifugal pump and stirrer design that achieves full and rapid dispersion in standard laboratory beakers, allowing close matching of the dispersant volume to the application requirements. Following measurement, the dispersion head can be raised out of the beaker, enabling quick cleaning and sample recovery.
- Compatible with 250mL, 600 mL and 1000 mL laboratory beakers.
- 40 W in-line sonication probe, for rapid agglomerate dispersion.
- Dip-in centrifugal pump and stirrer design.
- Sample easily recovered following analysis.
- Chemically compatible with a wide choice of organic and inorganic dispersants.
- Full software control of pump / stirrer and sonication.
- Integral sample tank light.
Dispersing a sample within a liquid involves wetting and separating each individual particle. The aim is to produce a stable, completely dispersed suspension for measurement.
In order to promote wetting, it is vital to select an appropriate dispersant. Water is the one most commonly used and, when suitable, offers many benefits in terms of cost of measurement and sample disposal. However, non-aqueous dispersants may need to be used in some applications, such as those involving water soluble particles.
The application of sonication promotes the wetting process, by disrupting the structure of any agglomerates. Stabilizers may also be added to the dispersant to prevent re-agglomeration.
With certain wet dispersion applications, small sample sizes may be representative and are therefore adequate; test material may also be in short supply, making the measurement of small samples necessary. In other cases material may be freely available and it can be advantageous to work with larger samples; for example when dealing with very polydisperse materials. Here a large sample ensures that there is sufficient material at the extremes of the distribution for accurate characterization.
The Hydro EV is a flexible choice for wet dispersion that can be used with standard laboratory glassware: a 250, 600 or 1000 mL beaker. This means that the user can select a dispersant volume which is best for the application. The dip-in sampling head includes an in-line sonication probe, which promotes the dispersion process, and a centrifugal pump/stirrer, to ensure that the whole sample is measured in a bias-free way.
- Pump speed range:
- 0-3500 rpm ††
- Pump speed accuracy:
- +/- 50 rpm
- Pump speed resolution:
- +/- 10 rpm
- Maximum flow rate:
- 1.7 l/min. ††
- Sonication power & frequency:
- 40W max, 40kHz (nominal) ††
- Maximum volume:
- 250mL / 600mL / 1000mL (using lab beaker)
- Materials in contact with the dispersant, additives and sample:
- 316 stainless Borosilicate Glass Tygon® R-3603. ††† Viton (cell seal only - perfluoroelastomer upgrade available) PTFE PEEK Titanium Nitride
- Maximum particle size:
- 2100 µm †
- Minimum time between measurements:
- Less than 60 seconds †
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 150mm x 220mm x 300mm
- Standby Mode: 5W Nominal during operation: 80W Maximum: 96W
- Sample dependent
- Dispersant dependent
- Other tubing grades available on request