Date recorded: July 29 2020
(This webinar will be conducted in Mandarin)
Titanium dioxide is a white pigment used in paints, pigments, plastics and various other specialty chemicals. It is preferred over other pigments like zinc oxide. Why? Because of its ability to give whiteness as well as hiding power or opacity to coatings. This is due to its properties of not absorbing visible light as well as its high refractive index. Titanium dioxide is however an expensive pigment and hence manufacturers need to carefully optimize it. Additionally, in terms of crystal structures TiO2 exists in two most common forms as anatase and rutile. In the pigment industry, the more stable and durable rutile is preferred since it scatters light more effectively than the counterpart anatase.
During this webinar, we share about some tips that manufacturers can engage to fully optimize their use of their pigments for high performance products. Our application specialist will draw reference to pigments such as titanium dioxide as well as other organic pigments.
1. How to check for agglomerations and ensure separation of titanium dioxide pigment particles: remember that the pigment scatters light most efficiently when all particles are separated and well dispersed
2. Monitoring the particle size of TiO2 pigments: Size affects the opacity (scattering) behaviour of the paint
3. Glossiness and durability: Maintaining a small particle size prevents against weathering. This is since coatings consisting of large particles or agglomerates can be more easily dislodged, resulting in the surface rapidly losing its gloss.
4. Anatase or Rutile: using X-ray diffraction technique to distinguish the crystallographic structure differences as well as quantifying the amount of each specific mineral automatically.
Join our free series of applications based and data analysis related webinars:
- Webinar 1: Improving the whiteness and brightness of expensive pigments like titanium dioxide for your paints, pigments, plastics
- Webinar 2: Introduction to crystal structure and phase analysis using X-ray diffraction. More info
- Webinar 3: Particle size distribution data interpretation and analysis using laser diffraction. More info
- Webinar 4: Particle size distribution analysis: method development workflow. More info
4. 如何確定是銳鈦礦還是金紅石： 晶體屬性決定其對應的物理效能。通過X射線衍射 （XRD）來自動化快速定相定量分析物體晶體屬性。