Spray particle and spray droplet size measurement
Malvern Panalytical's Spraytec laser diffraction system allows measurement of spray particle and spray droplet size distributions in real-time for more efficient product development of sprays and aerosols. It has been specifically designed to address the unique requirements for spray characterization and deliver robust, reproducible droplet size data.
Incorporating over 35 years of experience in spray applications, the Malvern Panalytical's Spraytec provides the data required to fully understand spray and atomization processes. It will:
- Measurement across a wide size range (0.1 – 2000 microns) without requiring constant optics changes.
- Resolve rapid changes in droplet size over time, by measuring up to 10,000 measurements a second.
- Deliver accurate, concentration-independent results using a patented multiple scattering analysis.
- Characterize wide spray plumes without risking optical contamination.
- Simply reveal the dynamic changes in spray particle size through its unique size history analysis software.
The Malvern Panalytical Spraytec uses the technique of laser diffraction for measurement of the size of spray droplets and spray particles. It does this by measuring the intensity of light scattered as a laser beam passes through a spray. This data is then analyzed to calculate the size of the droplets that created the scattering pattern.
The Spraytec system is made up of the following main elements:
- A transmitter module which contains the collimated laser light source used to illuminate the spray during a measurement.
- A receiver module which can hold one of two lenses (300mm or 750mm) which focus any light scattered by the spray onto a series of detectors. These detectors accurately measure the intensity of light scattered by the spray droplets over a wide range of angles.
- An optical bench which ensures the transmitter and receiver are aligned. The length of this can be changed in order to fit with different applications, with the longest bench being 2.5m long.
- The Spraytec software which controls the system during the measurement process and analyzes the scattering data to calculate spray size distributions. The results are displayed as a ‘size history’ trend plot, allowing any changes in the droplet size over time to be instantly recognized.
- Laser Light Scattering.
- Mie and Fraunhofer scattering including a patented multiple scattering analysis.
- Data acquisition rate:
- Rapid mode: 10kHz. Continuous mode: 1Hz.
- Maximum Measurement Time:
- Rapid mode: 30 seconds. Continuous mode: 60 minutes.
- Measurement Triggering:
- Internal: Based on transmission or light scattering levels. External: Based on TTL input or simple switch trigger.
- External Device Synchronization:
- Via 2 TTL trigger outputs.
- Light source:
- Max 4mW He-Ne Laser, 632.8nm.
- Lens arrangement:
- Fourier (parallel beam).
- Lens Focal Length:
- 300mm and 750mm.
- Measurement range:
- 150mm at 0.5 µm, extending to greater than 1m above 5 µm.
- 36 element log-spaced array.
- Angular range:
- 0.015 – 17 degrees.**
- Particle size:
- 300mm lens: 0.1 – 900 µm (Dv50: 0.5 – 600 µm). 750mm lens: 2 – 2000 µm (Dv50: 5 – 1600 µm).
- Better than 1%.***
- Better than 1%.***
- Better than 1%.***
- 21 CFR part 11:
- Enables an operating mode that assists with ER/ES compliance.
- Laser safety:
- Class 3R, IEC60825-1:2007 and CFR Chapter 1: Sub-chapter J: Part 1040 (CDRH).
- Regulatory testing:
- CE / FCC compliant. Meets requirements of the European Low Voltage directive.
Weight and dimensions
- Laboratory systems:
- 950mm optical bench: 950mmx550mmx610mm (36kg). 1400mm optical bench: 37kg 1400x550x610 (37kg).
- Spray Facility Systems:
- 950mm optical bench: 950mmx550mmx650mm (36kg). 1400mm optical bench: 1400x550x650 (37kg).
- 100/240 v, 50/60 Hz.
- Product storage temperature:
- -20°C to +50°C.
- Operating temperature (°C):
- +15°C to +40°C.
- 80% maximum for temperatures up to 31°C, decreasing linearly to 50% at 40 °C. Non-condensing.
- Ingress Protection (IP) rating:
- IP65 when in normal use
- This defines the maximum allowable distance between the far edge of the spray plume and the Spraytec receiver lens.
- Lens dependent.
- Relates to the measurement of the Dv50 for NIST-traceable latex standards. Sample dependent.
The Malvern Panalytical Spraytec aerosol positioning accessory enables users to reproducibly position aerosol cans or pump sprays relative to the Spraytec laser diffraction measurement zone during spray droplet and particle size measurements.
This helps to eliminate a significant source of variability associated with spray measurements, enabling the reproducible testing of domestic and personal aerosol products.
The Spraytec Extraction Accessory provides a means of collecting and capturing spray droplets and particles during spray particle size measurements. This ensures that spray particle recirculation is reduced during measurements, and also helps manage the risks associated with user exposure to spray droplets.
The Spraytec Inhaler and Nebulizer Accessory provides users with the ability to reproducibly measure the droplet or dry powder particle size distributions produced by metered dose inhalers, dry powder inhalers and nebulizers. Formulations can be rapidly screened for the correct dispersion properties, providing researchers with the detailed information required to develop new inhaled drug delivery products.
The Nasal Spray Accessory provides users with the ability to reproducibly measure the droplet or particle size distributions produced by nasal drug delivery devices, as part of bioequivalence studies or production quality control. Studies can also be carried out to determine how changes to the nasal spray device, formulation or device actuation profile can affect the delivered spray particle size.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost
The flexibility of the Spraytec system makes it ideally suited to applications across a wide range of industries, from fundamental research and development through to product quality control and batch release testing.
It delivers accurate, reproducible spray size analysis in an easy-to- understand format, improving product understanding and control.
Orally inhaled and nasal drug products
Particle size is a key parameter in defining the deposition pattern and bioavailability of drug materials delivered using pump sprays and inhalers to the nasal mucosa and respiratory system. The Spraytec system can chart the changes in size produced during single device actuations, allowing the dynamics of particle dispersion to be identified along with the device reproducibility. Formulations can therefore be rapidly screened for the correct spray properties, reducing development times and improving drug delivery efficacy
Routine atomizer characterization
Measurement of the droplet size produced by atomizer systems is key in promoting process understanding and a knowledge of the environmental impact of spraying, for instance in coatings or agrochemical applications.
The Spraytec’s rugged design, efficient air purge and multiple scattering analysis ensures measurements can be made at high concentrations directly within a spray plume, providing the real-time data required to track changes in particle size during atomizer operation.
The Spraytec’s ability to measure at 10 kHz enables resolution of the fluctuations in droplet size observed during the rapid firing of automotive fuel injector systems. Provision of flexible triggering options ensures each injection event is fully captured. The repeatability of atomization can then be assessed and related to combustion efficiency.