Complete dynamic shear rheometer package to meet demanding research, product development and quality control requirements
The Kinexus DSR-E incorporates technological innovations that enable optimal flexibility in rheological test capabilities and protocols.
- Grade testing to industry standards such as AASHTO and EN specifications with Time-Temperature Superposition for master curve generation.
- Wide variety of measurement geometries optimized for rheological characterization of liquid binders through to solid asphalt cores.
- All modes of rheological operation – stress control, shear rate control and direct strain controlled oscillation at demand strain amplitude for accurate control of sample strain history.
- Unique rSpace software interface that offers total flexibility of test set-up - from sequence-driven Standard Operating Procedure (SOP)-type functionality to fully customizable test design.
- Intelligent geometry recognition with full auto-configuration and user feedback on system status to guarantee robust data for all measurements.
- Solids fixtures for measuring fatigue or accumulated strain testing of asphalt cores and Penetrometer adapter for automated penetration testing of asphalt binders.
- Complete sample history from the point of loading onto the rheometer available in data file as standard – because ensuring reliable rheology data for complex materials like asphalt actually starts before a measurement takes place.
- Exceptional vertical travel and gapping capabilities with ultra-responsive and highly sensitive normal force system for class-leading performance.
- Unique ‘plug and play’ cartridge system for all temperature and environmental controllers – all mechanical, power, communication and fluid connections made in one simple action.
- Multifunctional accessory design – plate cartridges with interchangeable lower plates and cylinder cartridges with interchangeable cups - for a cost-effective solution and widest application coverage.
Kinexus DSR-E is a rotational rheometer for use in the Asphalt industry. The system applies controlled shear deformation to a sample under test, to enable measurement of flow properties (such as shear viscosity from flow tests) and dynamic material properties (such viscoelastic modulus and phase angle from oscillation tests).
A dynamic shear rheometer comprises several key components to enable robust, reliable and accessible rheological measurements for a particular sample or application:
- Rheometer base unit. Control of key system functions, including torque (for stress control), rotational position change (for strain or rate control), normal force and vertical position change (for sample loading and gap set).
- Measuring system or geometry. The measuring system is the link between the rheometer and the sample, and defines the applied shear field. The type of measuring system must be appropriate to the sample type and the test under consideration.
- Temperature or environmental control unit. Accurate control is essential since rheological properties are a strong function of temperature and environmental conditions particularly for asphalt.
- Instrument software. Rheological testing can be, by its nature, relatively complex to set up. Malvern Panalytical’s cornerstone Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) approach to material testing has been enhanced in rSpace software to revolutionize and simplify user interaction, and to bring ‘expert system’ guidance and SOP-driven testing for standard asphalt testing and general rheological measurements for the first time.
Understanding the application under consideration, and the associated rheological test requirements, is a key factor in selecting the most appropriate rheometer system.
If you are unsure as to specifying an appropriate DSR model for your application, Malvern recommend contacting us for further advice and/or a sample test and evaluation report.
- Modes of operation:
- Direct strain control. Shear rate control. Shear stress control.
- Torque range:
- 20nNm to 200mNm. (Viscometry - Controlled Rate and Controlled Stress)
- Torque range:
- 10nNm to 200mNm. (Oscillation - Controlled Strain and Controlled Stress)
- Torque resolution:
- Position resolution:
- Angular velocity range:
- 10nrads-1 to 325rads-1
- Step change in strain:
- Frequency range:
- 6.28µrads-1 to 628rads-1 (1µHz to 100Hz).
- Motor inertia:
- Normal Force range:
- 0.001N to 50N
- Normal Force resolution:
- Normal Force response time:
- Vertical lift speed:
- 0.1µms-1 to 35mms-1
- Vertical lift range (measurable):
- Gap resolution (over full vertical lift range):
- Fully configurable vertical profiles:
- By speed and by Normal Force.
- Raw instrument variables:
- 5kHz constant streaming data.
- Complete sample history:
- Data available from loading to unloading as standard.
- USB2 – plug and play.
- Quick-connect geometries:
- Auto-identification and auto-configuration – plug and play.
- Interchangeable lower plates:
- Varying pedestal plate diameters and surface finishes plus a range of cylinders including specific configurations for crumb rubber and solids testing.
- Cartridge environmental controllers:
- Auto-identification and auto-configuration – plug and play.
- Temperature range:
- -40°C to 150°C (Peltier plate and active hood cartridges). -30°C to 150°C (Peltier cylinder cartridge), 0°C to 300°C (High temperature cartridge).
- Temperature resolution:
- Dimensions (W, D, H):
- 490mm x 485mm x 680mm
- 110V or 220V.
- Operating temperature (°C):
- 15°C – 40°C.
- 35% - 80% non-condensing.
- Complete asphalt and rheometer package.
- Specifications have been obtained under conditions as stated in the Installation and Site Requirements for Kinexus rheometers
Designed for the rheological testing of complex materials ranging from low viscosity liquids to stiff solids, gelling and curing materials.
Environmental controller for cone-plate and parallel plate measuring systems.
The Peltier Plate cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer meets the temperature control requirements across the majority of applications from fluids through to soft solids, such as creams, pastes and gels.
Environmental controller for concentric cylinder-type measuring systems.
The Peltier Cylinder cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer provides multifunctional configuration options to meet the temperature control requirements for measuring materials from highly fluid-like samples through to high concentration dispersions that show a yield stress. Can be configured for use with a range of accessories.
Environmental controller with minimized thermal gradients for plate measuring systems.
The Active Hood Peltier Plate cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer uses a proprietary design to prevent thermal losses in the local sample environment, and hence minimize sample thermal gradients. Applicable to the measurement of highly thermally-sensitive samples, and for temperature-critical testing where the temperature range is significantly above or below ambient.
High temperature environmental controller for cone-plate and parallel plate measuring systems.
The HTC cartridge for the Kinexus rheometer meets the temperature control requirements across the majority of applications from fluids through to soft solids, such as creams, thermoset composites and polymer melts.
Intelligent geometry recognition and auto-configuration.
A wide range of measuring systems specifically designed for rheological characterization of dispersions and other complex fluids and soft solids, for use across all Kinexus environmental cartridges.
Protect your investment and ensure optimized performance at all times with Malvern Panalytical's service plans.
When you purchase a Malvern Panalytical product we understand that this is just the first stage of a working relationship that will last for the lifetime of the instrument. Depending on your needs, Malvern Panalytical will provide the support for your business.
- Telephone and email support.
- Operators who take responsibility for your call and ensure your query is answered.
Malvern Panalytical's service options- choose the right plan for you:
Malvern Panalytical Platinum Plan
For laboratories where maximizing instrument up-time is critical to its daily performance. Our highest level of response and the 'all inclusive' price plan takes care of those unexpected repair bills should the unfortunate occur.
Malvern Panalytical Gold Plan
Enhance your laboratory productivity by maintaining instrument efficiency. Still receive that priority response, combined with specialist technical and software support, we'll keep your instrument performance on track to deliver.
Malvern Panalytical Bronze Visit
For laboratories looking to optimize instrument performance, regular preventative maintenance is essential.
|Platinum Plan||Gold Plan||Bronze Visit|
|Annual PM/PV Test|
|Telephone / Email Support|
|Emergency Breakdown visits*|
|Technical & Software Support|
*including labour & travel costs***available at an additional cost